“God is bigger than your devotional or religious rituals.”
Does anyone else ever feel as though they are not spending enough time with the Lord?
This was a feeling I would come across often in the past. It was difficult for me to read about individuals in the Bible and see Christians in my life who just always seemed to be studying the Bible or praying. I felt as though maybe I was cheating God, and failing to give him the time that he deserves. So naturally I would increase my prayer and devotional time. But then I would find myself feeling guilty for spending hours studying, lesson planning, being outdoors, and even sleeping. I would just constantly think "Do I really need that much sleep or should I be praying?" "Am I sinning by studying this long?" However, as always the Lord's timing is perfect. Each morning I make a point to do some sort of devotional to start my day. This day I had chosen to watch a sermon from the Loma Linda university church (I recommend visiting their vimeo page. Great worship services.) The pastor had be speaking about how we are to connect with God in our everyday tasks. His take home message was "God is bigger than your religious rituals." My understanding from the message was that I can find ways to connect with the Lord when I'm studying, writing, excising, cooking,etc.... The Lord is not just a time slot that can be fit into our day. Because if He were, my fears would have been valid as it would have been impossible to spend the time with him that I need while keeping life's everyday tasks separate. Since then I have been making an effort to find ways to incorporate God more in my activities. May it be by listening to christian music or sermons as I cook or workout, mediating on Christ as the creator when in nature, or even just allowing his light to shine through me when in the presence of other's.
My message to you in this post is that though devotionals, prayer and church are important aspects of our Christian life, let’s not limit the Lord to small time slots in our day. God is bigger than a 10min prayer, a 20min devotional, or an hour long Bible study. Jesus should be at the center of our lives. See the glory of the Lord in everything you do. See his glory in the clouds as you drive or walk, as you cook the food he has blessed you with, or as you sit in class aiming to increase your knowledge for the purpose he has for your life.
"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." – Colossians 3:17
God Bless
xoxo - Brittney
God Bless
xoxo - Brittney
Comments
Post a Comment